Friday, November 11, 2011

Mixed Media Art

I am no artist, but decided to try my hand at making a mixed media piece. I found this great acrylic craft paint at Hobby Lobby that comes in metallic colors. I used Worn Penny to paint the canvas with. Then the kids and I went outside and found a few tree branches. I used needle and thread to sew and secure the branch to the canvas. Never really thought about stitching on canvas but it totally worked! I have this old dictionary and I cut out pages in the shape of leaves. Next I used (you guessed it) Mod Podge to glue the leaves to the canvas. Another layer of Mod Podge on the top sealed the paper. Across the bottom I used torn dictionary pages with the definitions of beautiful, creation, earth and faithful. I painted a thin layer of paint over the pages on the bottom. I had a few Scrabble tiles that I hot glued down the side to spell "Nature". Maybe I'll get better over time but I loved the finished product and it was perfect for my half bath.