Monday, March 15, 2010

Make Your Own Chandelier

Olivia somehow got the idea that she wanted a "princess chandelier" in her room. When I saw the price tag on a small chandelier I said OH NO! So I got the crazy idea to make my own. I purchased a brass chandelier from Habitat Restore for $15 (you know, the kind everyone wants to get rid of). I spray painted it off white to match the trim in the house. I think I did maybe 3 coats of paint. Oh and don't forget to put tape over the electrical wires.
After Christmas I looked for bead garland on sale. I found a few strands at Hobby Lobby for about $1 each. I also bought decorative rnament hooks. The "crystals" I found at Target. They sell them as vase fillers and the pack was $7. They came with holes already in them so it was perfect for hanging. I used fishing line to hang the crystals and have some left over for another use in her room. Here's the finished product!


I covered the candle stick things (not sure what they're called) with scrapbook paper. I just cut them to size and used tacky glue that dries clear. I can't tell you how excited she is!!! She wants to show everyone her princess room and her chandelier. It was a super easy project and much less expensive than the real thing.